- http://www.joanhall.net/why-a-novella-guest-post-by-c-s-boyack/ She inherits an old hat from her grandmother’s estate, but it belonged to her grandfather. This is no ordinary hat, but a being from an alternate dimension. One with special powers.
- http://www.fantasybookcafe.com/2018/01/review-of-markswoman-by-rati-mehrotra/ This book primarily follows Kyra, a nineteen-year-old belonging to the Order of Kali, as she learns more about herself, her world, and being a Markswoman while honing her abilities so she can avenge her mentor.
- http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2018/01/a-book-review-of-glass-sword-by.html Mare Barrow’s blood is red—the color of common folk—but her Silver ability, the power to control lightning, has turned her into a weapon that the royal court tries to control. The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from Maven, the prince—the friend—who betrayed her, Mare uncovers something startling: she is not the only one of her kind.
- https://rosieamber.wordpress.com/2018/01/27/my-bookreview-of-paranormal-novella-confessions-of-a-pirate-ghost-by-jo_anncarson/ Taking a swim at night in the cold North-West Pacific wouldn’t have been Harley Davis’ first choice, but the art forger was in a spot of hot trouble, and it was a means of escaping a mobster. Desperately in need of warmth and shelter, she spots a light at a teahouse, but the occupants seem mysteriously elusive.
- http://mythsofthemirror.com/2018/01/25/a-human-story-guest-post-with-andrea-flory/ What a beautifully written book. Innerscape is a science fiction story about a middle-aged woman Miira whose disease-ravaged body is dying. She decides to enter Innercape where her body will be pared down to her essential components and preserved while she lives out her life in a virtual world as a younger, healthy version of herself.
- https://princessofthelight.wordpress.com/2018/01/24/daughter-of-the-goddess-by-rita-j-webb-book-blitz-author-q-a-ya-fantasy-bookish/ I was a nameless child abandoned on the temple doorsteps.
- https://rosieamber.wordpress.com/2018/01/24/rosies-bookreview-team-rbrt-robbie-reviews-ww1-ptsd-freds-funeral-by-sandeetweets/ Fred has just died in his small room in a hospital for the mentally ill. Fred finds himself a ghost, stuck between this life and the next and forced to watch his prissy sister-in-law, Viola, arrange his funeral. Fred seems tied to Viola and his brother, Thomas, and watches on, silent and powerless, as his life is rehashed by Viola to his relatives after the funeral. Viola’s version of the events of his life are unfavourable and cause Fred to think back to recollections of these same events.
- https://princessofthelight.wordpress.com/2018/01/26/binge-read-these-flirty-romance-books-in-the-candy-heart-romance-series-by-wildrosepress-fridayreads-valentinesday/ Welcome to this week’s edition of Friday Book Round-Up. Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, and love is in the air. The Wild Rose Press has a great line of short romantic stories called Candy Hearts Romance and while I’ve read only five, they make for a light-hearted series to binge-read. Best part: most are less than $3. Here’s some to get you started:
- https://princessofthelight.wordpress.com/2018/01/26/a-dark-druid-with-a-grudge-prepares-his-revenge-knight-of-runes-by-usa-today-bestseller-ruthacasie-romance-fridayreads-timetravel/ When Lord Arik, a druid knight, finds Rebeka Tyler wandering his lands without protection, he swears to keep her safe. But Rebeka can take care of herself. When Arik sees her clash with a group of attackers using a strange fighting style, he’s intrigued.
- http://www.briankeene.com/2018/01/22/survivor-prequel-monsters-animals-up-for-pre-order/ MONSTERS – ANIMALSis the long-awaited two-novella prequel to J. F. Gonzalez’s seminal extreme horror novel SURVIVOR.
- http://thewarriormuse.blogspot.com/2018/01/horror-list-book-review-invasion.html This was Cook’s first foray into science fiction; normally he writes medical thrillers. He writes an open letter about it in the introduction. It shows in the basic layout of the sci-fi/horror elements, but he brings something new to it all with his knowledge of medical topics, which led to some fascinating information throughout.
- http://www.thisishorror.co.uk/book-review-hardened-hearts-edited-by-eddie-generous/ “A brave anthology which does away with binary concepts of gender, love and sex, instead presenting the reader with love that is realistic, heartfelt, though at times, naturally, stepping into the fantastical.”
- https://teripolen.com/2018/01/25/zero-day-the-hatching-3-by-ezekiel-boone-bookreview-horror-scifi/ n the thrilling, nerve-wracking finale of Ezekiel Boone’s “hair-raising” (Parade) Hatching series, the United States goes to war against the queen spiders that threaten to overtake the human race forever.
- http://www.adventuresinyapublishing.com/2018/01/new-releases-this-week-0122-0128-plus-2.html Happy Monday! We’re celebrating the release of a few books today including REIGN OF THE FALLEN and A LAND OF PERMANENT GOODBYES.
- http://lizlovesbooks.com/lizlovesbooks/city-without-stars-tim-baker-blog-tour-review/ The only thing more dangerous than the cartels is the truth…
In Ciudad Real, Mexico, a deadly war between rival cartels is erupting, and hundreds of female sweat-shop workers are being murdered. As his police superiors start shutting down his investigation, Fuentes suspects most of his colleagues are on the payroll of narco kingpin, El Santo.
- http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2018/01/23/out-now-the-raptor-the-wren-miriam-black-book-5/ Miriam Black, in lockstep with death, continues on her quest to control her own fate in The Raptor and the Wren, the brand-new fifth book in the Miriam Black series.
- http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2018/01/24/the-miriam-black-books-giveaway-plus-how-to-get-signed-copies/ Okay so — last night, I launched The Raptor & The Wrento a full house of wonderful readers last night at the also wonderful Let’s Play Books in Emmaus, PA. And I’ll be at the Elgin Literary Festival (ELF!) this weekend to give a talk and also attack you with owls. I mean, sign your book?
- http://www.joanhall.net/spotify-writing-and-a-new-release/ Rachel Jackson hails from one of Driscoll Lake’s wealthiest families. Like her father, she became a doctor and is now a respected physician. But despite her successful career, Rachel feels something is missing from her life—until she crosses paths with Brian Nichols.
- http://lizlovesbooks.com/lizlovesbooks/latest-reads-here-we-lie-sophie-mckenzie/ Jed is the man I will marry. Unless his past catches up with us …
- http://lizlovesbooks.com/lizlovesbooks/the-intruder-blog-tour-review/ He has the key to hundreds of houses.
Maybe even to yours.
- https://stacitroilo.wordpress.com/2018/01/26/on-the-road-again-book-excerpt-password/ Some passwords protect more than just secrets.
- https://rosieamber.wordpress.com/2018/01/26/my-bookreview-of-paranormal-thriller-the-doll-funeral-by-kate_hamer-faberbooks/ The Doll Funeral is a thriller with a strong paranormal element. Set in and around England’s Forest of Dean, this book mixes a dual time line with occasional alternative points of view
- http://lizlovesbooks.com/lizlovesbooks/one-to-watch-the-craftsman-sharon-bolton/ Catching him will make her career – and change her forever.
- http://bloodredpencil.blogspot.com/2018/01/book-review-story-sparks-by-denise-jaden.html If you are searching for a new idea for a new book in this New Year, this resource will be of great benefit. In the introduction of Story Sparks, the author states that “idea gathering is a highly learnable skill.” Then she goes on to help writers hone that skill with her advice and exercises.
- https://libraryoferana.wordpress.com/2018/01/26/review-schotts-miscellany/ one of those ‘dip in and out of’ books. It’s a collection of the interesting, the weird and the varied – from Morse Code signs, to collective nouns, to country flag colours, to cricketing terms – there is something of interest to everyone.
- https://steviet3.wordpress.com/2018/01/27/review-of-didnt-get-frazzled-by-david-z-hirsch-md/ It’s not very often I come across a humorous book where the author has just the same dry sense of humour as I have. I found this out to my delight by reading ‘Didn’t Get Frazzled’ by David Z. Hirsch, MD.
- http://shelleywilsonauthor.com/2018/01/25/how-i-motivated-myself-to-succeed-is-now-available-in-audio-selfhelp-loveaudioquest-wholestoryaudio/ Motivating people to get going is something I’m passionate about. I ran my holistic health spa for seven years and took the time to listen to my clients; women who had big dreams but lacked the motivation and inspiration to put them into action.